Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I HATE MY JOB!


Last summer,Forbes reported on a study which indicated Americans were more satisfied with their jobs. That is, if you consider less than half were more satisfied and only 15.4% were very satisfied. Yikes!

Does this mean that you have a 50/50 chance of having a doctor who is removing your kidneys, an attorney defending your case, a grocery clerk scanning your weekly produce or a teacher influencing your child downright unhappy in their current line of work? That's scary! While the study concludes older workers were more unhappy, from a 71% satisfaction rate back in 1987 to a 46% rate in 2011, probably due to having to delay retirement, it's no secret the average American worker is not the loyal for life worker of past generations. But people have been "hating their jobs" long before this generation.

from empowernetwork.com
Why are so many workers disappointed with how they are asked to earn their living? Last year, CNBC reported Americans were "quitting their jobs on their own volition because they are seeking more personal fulfillment in their workplace lives."




I've always been interested in the reasons people give for disliking or even hating their jobs, and after interviewing several individuals recently, have concluded the phrase, "I hate my job!" is not dependent on reimbursement, level of responsibility, education level, age, gender or commute. I heard similar comments from a nursing superintendent, a successful lawyer, a landscape worker, fifth grade teacher, delivery driver and advertising salesperson! They were at different ages, stages and levels of their career, but the comment rang clear and loud and whenever I asked why they felt this way, I got a resounding and nearly unanimous,
"I don't feel what I do makes any real difference" or "I just feel more unfulfilled everyday."



Like the previous, CNBC report, Dave Ramsey in his book, Entreleadership talks about people needing to see the job they do as making a difference whether in their life or someone else's.

So, if you are the one out of every 2 people experiencing job dissatisfaction, what do you do, especially in this economy?

I suggest you look for ways to determine what you are passionate about? Discover what types of things you truly enjoy and investigate how to bring those joys into fulfillment. It may be changing careers and taking a leap of faith for some, but for others, it simply may mean carving out some time to "enjoy what brings you joy."

That "I have no time" mindset really doesn't work when you are talking about your life passions. You only get to live once. You HAVE to make time to discover your passion and to work on adding it into your life while you still can. Maybe it's a hobby, a product you want to get to market, a cause you want to support, an idea you believe in.

If you want to be satisfied with what you do in life...YOU MUST DO IT!

If you hate what you are doing, then you must figure out how to spend time doing what you love. It's not rocket science; it's simply the honest truth.



Pick up a copy of FINDING YOUR FIRE to get some help in discovering where your passion lies and plan on attending the CALLED WOMAN CONFERENCE to figure out how to go from, "I hate my job." to "I love my life." Your job is 40 or so hours out of your week, your life is 168 hours weekly. Don't let what you hate rule what you do with the rest and the best of your life. Get started on taking control so you can find your passion, live your purpose and make a difference daily.

Come visit the MAKE A DIFFERENCE MONDAYS and tell us what you are doing to make a difference in your life or someone else's


Did you ever have a job you truly hated?

What advice do YOU have to someone who hates their job
?



Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. I remember working security at a third shift job. Being the only one in this huge insurance company and missing my daughter, who was an infant at the time, so much!

    Your book sounds great! I think one key is to learn to find a state of peace and joy amidst any situation..Because then with any job, no matter how mundane, one can proceed with it in joy.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you have to go after your own joy, Jessica. Your experience on third shift does sound awful. Thanks for the comment on the book. If you pick it up, please leave a review and let me know if I can help in any way. Truly appreciate your stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have chucked up jobs, changed careers and am now in a place I feel comfortable - truly following my passion. I understand it's not always easy for people to do that because of various commitments, but I do believe everything falls into place when we follow our passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Corinne. You have to be proactive until you feel comfortable and sometimes it takes a bit of being uncomfortable to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete